This is the second issue to focus on the Civil War collections of the Clements. Topics include photography, regimental histories, culinary history, and women nurses. The next library exhibit, opening February 28, will focus on the first year of the Civil War.
Contents of the Fall-Winter 2010 issue of the Quarto:
- "The Civil War Revisited," by J. Kevin Graffagnino, Director of the Clements Library.
- "Point of No Return," by Barbara DeWolfe, Curator of Manuscripts. A history of the months preceding the attack on Fort Sumter.
- "Wartime Photography," by Clayton Lewis, Curator of Graphic Materials.
- "'Learning How to Cook and Kill at the Same Time': Cookery in the American Civil War: The Alexis Soyer and Florence Nightingale Connections," by Janice Bluestein Longone, Curator of American Culinary History.
- "Reading the Civil War," by Emiko Hastings, Curator of Books. Regimental histories and personal narratives in the James S. Schoff Civil War Collection.
- "Angels of the Battlefield," by Terese M. Austin, Library Assistant. The letters of women nurses during the war.
- "Developments," by Ann Rock, Director of Development. Acquisition of the Henry Strachey Papers and other news.
- Calendar of Events